Followers

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Ski For Women Feb 2011

 This is Ski for Women Race.  I was so proud of myself. I made the decision to stay in the front of the pack and try to beat my time from last year. i did!!! by 15 minutes.  I skied steady and hard.  I had to keep avoiding the falls in front of me.
I was unaware that Anchorage Schools had a Jewish menorah.  This one on the ASD showcase features the a sports theme.
These are my bunnie boots.  They are big because they are issued by the US Army for all their soldiers.  They are so warm.  The paratroopers use them for jumping out of the planes.  I don't have to pressurize mine. I just have to keep the valve closed so that they don't let water in the valve.  So when I speak of my bunnie boots that I will be wearing in Nome now you know they are cute, white, fluffy and no pointy ears!!!

 This is how the extra rolls of toilet paper is held in each bathroom stall.  They hand extra rolls on a ski pol on the back of each stall door. Very useful!!!





















Ski for Women 2011  All the profits of this race goes to help end domestic violence.  There were 1400 women and girls skiing this year.  .It was another cold and windy day for our race.  This year was a bit different because we considered ourselves as veterans.  We didn't dress up this year because there wasn't enough snow the week before so we didn't plan on costumes.  The beautiful butterflies from last year were jellyfish this year.  Their costumes were pretty but not spectacular like last year.

The first group were Buffalo.  They were a group of women from Montana and had great buffalo tails.  The ladies to the left were all in furs.  Their group name was "going out in style".  Cute. 









Then the girl scouts showed up as the different
selection of cookies.  I like the Tagalongs but David loves the Thin Mints.













These two lades are some of the teachers we teach with.  They are very artistic.  They teach at Birchwood school so they are the "white birch trees".  Very cute. They won second place in the teams.  i am not sure you can see Stacy's beaver on her right leg.  We had to inform her that the beaver is misplaced. we think the beaver should be placed where the birch branches split!!!






These ladies were the muffin tops!  I could be a part of that group!














I really liked this group.  The young lady on the left was a chain saw, the next lady was a shrub, then the garbage can and a lady on the right was a match stick.  Very cleaver. 









This lady was simply a spectator but she made her beautiful parka.  She was very warm on this very cold day.  I wasn't cold while I was skiing but standing around for the parade and the race to start was nippy.
This is the beautiful Denali (Mt. McKinley) which could be seen from the top of the ski area.  It is hard to believe this majestic mountain is 300 miles away but on a clear day it is a sight to behold.
This is Beth, Niki, and Sheryl boarding the shuttle bu to the race area. 
Traffic cone heads!  Cleaver.  Anchorage is like any other city full of construction spots.  In Anchorage it is amazing how much construction is done during the winter months.

I hope you enjoyed another unique fund raiser in Anchorage.  We all have noticed that Anchorage has a costume event almost weekly during the dark winter time and the delightful summer months.  I think the effort to dress up and participate in another activity to raise money makes it more fun.  We have met so many amazing people and our friendship circle keeps growing by attending these events.  Tomorrow is Valentines Day and I hope you spread your warm heart and hugs with everyone you love.  "the girls" are going to dinner and Beth and I have funny gift bags for the person who gets the most questions correct on a quiz, or whoever takes the challenge presented.  Just another evening of girl fun.  Happy Valentines Day to all of you.
Hugs from Sheryl the Nanuq of the North.

No comments:

Post a Comment