Followers

Sunday, November 7, 2010

Anchorage Botanical Garden


Hello everyone.  I thought I would share some photos from the beautiful Botanical Gardens in Anchorage.  My Aunt Sharon and I strolled through the grounds and enjoyed the fall colors so I thought I would share.  The split trunk birch trees are everywhere in the Gardens.  I have never seen them but I think of a sling shot when I saw them.  The walking paths are identified by the twig fence.  This took some major time to make. The twig fence is about 18 inches high and the twigs are woven through steel pipes every two feet. The picture doesn't do it justice but it is neat. Perhaps your gardens would like a twig fence?  Then I couldn't forget to show the "outhouse" at the Gardens. It is located way in the back of the grounds so it is pretty primitive.  For those who can't see, that is a marine toilet.  The fox gloves were so big I couldn't believe their size. That is Sharon's hand on one huge leaf.  The blue flowers were so soft even though they looked spiky.  When it is in full bloom it erupts with all those small curly ques.  The full bloom was soft as well.  No I don't remember the names I just take pictures!  I thought you would like to see our beautiful foliage from the end of September.  The end of September to the first week in October is our fall.  Then about mid-October everyone is expecting the first snow and winter begins.
However, this year we had Halloween with no snow.  The locals can't remember the last time that has happened.  So we had a gorgeous fall all throughout October. It was in the mid 60's and sunny all day and cooled off to the low 50's at night. Great sleeping with the windows open.  Let me fill you in on some "Sheryl" activities.  First, my eye is starting to look better. The swelling finally went down this week. I have a Nike Swoosh mark below my eye in beautiful deep purple, reds, blues and no more yellow.  I can't believe how hard I was hit. The concussion was really the worse part. I couldn't sit up for two days without being nauseous.  I forget about my big black eye and people will look and ask if I fell or got hit by the corner of the car door.  When I tell them I was attacked by a "paper cutter" in the class room they look amazed.  They say, it must be real because no one else has ever had that as an excuse for a black eye.  Oh well - Sherylisms!  So one day last week I walking across the playground during recess.  I was carrying my box filled with stuff to be copied, placed in teachers boxes, and my lunch.  As I walked across the play area, the little K - 2 grades were outside playing. They all came over to see my eye. I am quite the celebrity among the little folks.  So about 7 or 8 of them were hugging me.  Remember they are small and are about as tall as my thighs or hips. Let me back up a minute.  I have purchased some very silky winter silk underwear this year because everyone said they are comfortable and extra warm.  So I had on a pretty blue pair of winter silks and my low hip hugger pants.  I didn't wear a belt because the buckles are cold so I don't wear them.  Back to the hugging children.  I was trying to keep walking but they hung on so tightly that the next thing I knew my pants were hanging around my knees!!! Yep, I mooned the playground children and the playground supervisors.  The adults looked in amazement while the kids could have cared less. I handed the biggest child, Ger, my box and I pulled up my pants and continued inside.  Well, unbeknownst to met the play ground is video taped for security purposes.  Yep, the playground supervisors had to tell the story at lunch and in the office. I was quite famous for other reasons that day!! I have never lost my pants at school before in all my teaching. It was brisk on bare legs.  I wore my hip huggers again but with "cotton" undies and had a very uneventful day.  My school friends and I laugh quite a bit about our adventure but more of my mishaps then theirs.
WE GOT SNOW!!!! This week we got 3 inches when I woke up and it has been snowing everyday a bit. We have about a 6 - 7 inch base layer on the roads and grounds.  It is nice not hearing the clicky click of the studded tires on the bare roads.  And, my room mate, Beth, and I went to a Flash Mob event yesterday. It was so much fun. A Flash Mob is when a whole lot of people gather and perform for a few minutes and then leave.  We did a recycling dance at the convention center.  If you want to check our the first one this year check out U-tube Mama Mia Anchorage Flash Mob.  It required two days of practice to perform for the lines of people waiting to get into the Performance Center for opening Saturday of Mama Mia.  Anchorage comes up with some fun things to keep the long winter days an afterthought. 
I met up with David last weekend in Denver for a long weekend. Tyler, was in San Diego at a football game, and Jenna was  in Las Vegas. We were a traveling family last weekend.  We are all back in our cities and waiting for Thanksgiving. David and I are going to San Fran to be with Jenna for Thanksgiving. This year Tyler will be joining Cara's family for Thanksgiving.  I have never had to share a child before but we will all (my siblings and all our children and my mom) will be celebrating Christmas in Chicago at my brother Chip's house.  That will be fun.  I hope you all are enjoying your beautiful fall.  I have heard that Houston Levee is finally open!!!! Yahoo.  Normal driving patterns again. It took a while. Enjoy your week. I will blog again next week.  I with you all well. Until then, Sheryl the Nanuq of the North

No comments:

Post a Comment